Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mid-Week Inspiration: In the Line of Fashion

Alvaro I have always been in love with fashion illustration. Yesterday I went to the Society of Illustrators new exhibit In the Line of Fashion. This beautiful and very inspiring exhibit showcased fashion illustrations from the 20's through 2008. Illustrations used to be more prominent in fashion magazines than they are now and peaked in the 40's and 50's. This exhibit has inspired me to break out the old sketch book and start illustrating again. It's been years, I may be rusty, but it may be time to get started again. Pictured here are a few of my favorites from the show. Top to bottom: Untitled by Alvaro (date unknown), Untitled by McClelland Barclay (40's), The Bumble Bee Girl by Karen Santry(2007)McClelland Barclay
Karen Santry



5 comments:

50sgal said...

wonderful and inspiring. I have noticed many illustrations in my 1950s magazines but an increase in photos as well.

Unknown said...

I remember the use of illustrations in 80's magazines. Now they are hard to find.

Unknown said...

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR BLOG AND COMPLIMENT. I SEND YOU MANY HUGS AND SMILES......

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Alvaro. You are an inspiration. I have started sketching again but can only begin to dream of ever being as talented as you. What an honor. xoxo

andrew o said...

I treasure your illustrations which in our collection, bring so many comments and genuine admiration to an amazing artist- im glad to see you are sharing your incredible talents again.Thanks again 20 years later.